Saturday 23 March 2013

Range Hood Decision

This range hood business has caused a tad bit of stress. I think once the kitchen was installed I really thought that the triangle shaped range hood I had picked out just didn't seem like the best idea. Since the kitchen company had done such a great job on our island gables I got greedy and had the idea that they could also perhaps do us a built in range hood.

The issue has been though that our overhead cupboards have a bigger gap then our 90cm oven and we weren't sure how we would go about slotting something in there. Between the kitchen company and us we came up with around few ideas. One was to add two little skinny cabinets at either end of the overheads to fill the gap and then that would leave us with a perfect sized 90cm range hood or alternatively we could put them either side of the range hood....hoping I'm making sense here. Another option was to just take all the overheads down and start again, this seemed like too much work and too much money. In the end we have just decided to make the range hood fill the whole space which means that the range hood will be quite larger than the space down below for our oven. We have drawings and it looks pretty good, just hope in the flesh it doesn't look too silly being a lot larger. We based in on Mel's from Georgica Pond as it is simple and achievable for our space and budget but I also checked out White Verandah's hood and the way that one was done was really interesting.

This of course will have to be done after handover as ss would not even let the kitchen company install the carcass of it so that the tiler could tile exactly right up to it. It now means that the kitchen people will have to come back install our new range hood and then we will also need an electrician to hook it up and I'm thinking a tiler to finish off the tiling. Gee I hope I made the right decision. I did look around for another range and quite liked the squarish one from Ilve but it was around another $1000 which was dearer than the getting the custom one through the kitchen company so husband wouldn't hear of me trying to back out to purchase it.

I have been really torn about whether to keep the range or to do a built in one. If I was able to get a beautiful one like the ranges below I definetly would have done a big beautiful stainless steel one but the options in Australia are so plain. Fingers crossed it looks okay.

There are so many different types of ranges that just don't seem to be available in Australia, so many shapes sizes and colours.


Via Georgica Pond nice and simple







This will hopefully be similar to ours


This has the skinny cabinets I mentioned either side but in the end we went the simplest route of just having one oversized range.
House update - We have our first walk through on Monday to dot any imperfections. We will also have an inspector there to help us out. We went out on Saturday and the house already has een covered in dots, seems they have been more thorough then I would have been. I didn't go in but as husband described it there are dots all over the place. He also was not happy to note that the chippies who came back to put our skirting on now our wooden floors are in seemed to botch the job and had to pull it and reattach in spots, leaving patched up bits on the walls. These skirting boards throughout the house are the one thing I am not happy about.

Penny rounds have finally gone up in the powder room as well as our shower screens, mirrors and sliding doors. On sliding doors, they are glass and I know I will hate them...don't know why I didn't change them to panelled sliding doors to suit the house but it is on the list when budget hopefully allows to be changed.

Tash

4 comments:

  1. How funny that the SS won't let the kitchen company in for this...especially when it's the same kitchen company anyway.

    Can't wait to see the finished product at some point. You must be getting super close to handover!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren, yes just a tad frustrating to not let us do it before handover, our SS goes strictly by our selection book, handover is due to be this Thursday!

    Tash

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about the range hood mess, Tasha. :( I've always seen a range hood as a crucial design detail in the kitchen. Apart from making sure that it does its job sucking out the fumes and improving ventilation, it also has to match everything else. I hope everything worked out for the best.

    -Staci Severns

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Tash! I've pinned so many of the same pics of range hoods! Did you look into getting a stainless steel looking one? I'd be interested to chat to you about it. The ILVE is the closest I've found on the Australian market too. So frustrating! (thegilbeys on homeone

    ReplyDelete